Tuition Videos: Our Youtube Channel
What students say...
'I am so glad to have found Poynton Music School as a mature student. It's never too late to learn. I have been enjoying a range of group guitar classes for a year now and I'm now tempted by the ukulele. It's great to have clear guidance from Rik to enable us to have fun playing a range of songs together'.
(Hev Taylor, Guitar)
'I've done a few of Rik's courses and they never disappoint! I'm on the improvers ukulele course at the moment and really enjoying it. The classes give just the right amount of challenge to keep me working hard to better my skills and techniques. Also, it's great fun to play with a group of like-minded people'.
(Brenda Griffin De Tapa, Ukulele)
Lessons from anywhere in the world!
Learn online via Skype and webcam with Rik Roberts, from the comfort of your own home. Skype lessons are a great alternative for people who are time-pressed or find it difficult to travel to a good teacher.
Classical Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Ukulele, Mandolin and 5 String Banjo.
What are the pros compared with face to face lessons?
- Face to face filming by the webcam makes technique clearly visible
- There is less opportunity for chit-chat, so the lessons tend to have more content
- The teacher can instantly send messages and notes relating to the lesson
- You can video each lesson by clicking a button
- Works very well for student-led consultation type lessons, or Q & A lessons
- No need to travel or worry about traffic and parking!
What are the cons?
- A slight sound delay means the teacher and learner cannot play pieces together
- The teacher cannot point directly to the student's fingers on the fretboard/strings
- Less personal contact; the social aspect of face to face lessons is missing
Is Skype a successful way of learning?
Yes. It's also a very popular medium for music lessons nowadays. 10-15 years ago it was very much a novelty, now many teachers offer Skype tuition as one of their services.
What will I need?
- You will need Skype installed on your computer (included with Windows 10)
- You will need a webcam and a microphone (included in most modern PCs)
What do I do?
- Arrange a time for your lesson by contacting us here
How much does it cost?
£18 for 30 minutes
£24 for 40 minutes
£34 for 60 minutes
How do I pay?
Pay the lesson fee via Paypal by clicking this secure link
The first lesson can be paid just after the session. Subsequent lessons should be paid prior to the scheduled session.
You can also pay by BACS:
Music Never Alone Ltd
Sort Code: 16 14 20
These days connection problems are quite rare, but if a lesson is interrupted for technical reasons causing a significant pause in the session, you will be offered a free make up lesson in-lieu.